Summer is coming and maybe, like us, you’re already looking forward to the long summer days and warmer temps. And maybe, like us, you're anticipating all those “must dos” to get your home ready for the season’s demands.
With the change in seasons come different demands on your home and its functionality. We’ve compiled a list of tasks to help you get your home ahead of the needs of those needs. Our advice — get a jump on it and start ticking these things off now. Spring is a great time to prep your home and get ahead of a summer schedule. Let’s be honest, time by the pool and picnics with friends are definitely demanding engagements.
1. Get your AC ready. You’ve heard us say before, there is no need to have a technician on hand to turn on your AC for the first time this summer. However, there is tremendous value in conducting routine maintenance and having your system checked.
2. Change your air filter. Confessions of an HVAC technician, we commonly see very dirty air filters. Changing your air filter regularly can make a huge difference in the quality of the air in your home and running through your HVAC system. Our advice, set a recurring calendar reminder on your phone to purchase and change your air filter.
3. Flip the switch on your ceiling fans. Ever wonder what that tiny switch is for on your ceiling fan? It changes the direction of the rotation of the blades. If your fans are rotating counterclockwise, they push the air down and help keep your home cool. Oh, and while you’re up there, clean the dust off of the blades with a dryer sheet attached to a paint roller.
4. Test smoke detectors. Regularly checking smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors is a life-saving seasonal maintenance tip. Test all of the detectors in your home and change out any batteries as needed. This task takes only a few minutes and can save lives.
5. Wash your windows and screens. Take time this spring to deep clean your windows (inside and out) and screens. Grime, dust, and allergens are easily trapped there and can enter your home when you open the windows. Thoroughly cleaning with soap and water is the best way to ensure you aren’t welcoming those pests into your home with the occasional cool breezes of summer.
6. Check the caulking around your windows and doors. Following a cold winter like this one, it is important to check the integrity of your home’s caulking. Old, cracked or insufficient caulking around windows and doors can leak air-conditioned air and force your system to work harder. Side note, this is often how bugs and other pests initially enter your home. We suggest adding fresh caulking to your windows and doors regularly.
7. Prep your landscaping. Spring growth of your landscaping may need to be tamed. Doing it before the hot days of summer is one of our favorite tips. Trim back any trees or bushes and clear out underbrush. Just like we seek shade on hot days, so do all of the outdoor creatures in your neighborhood. Keeping your yard free of overgrowth can minimize invasion of unwanted creatures; not to mention, a fresh layer of mulch can add crazy curb appeal.
8. Clean gutters and downspouts. Time to dust off your ladder and inspect your gutters and downspouts. Winter can be harsh on the exterior of your home and a few hours spent cleaning out your gutters can go a long way in keeping water away from your foundation. While you’re up there, check for leaks and any damage to your roof which can cause major problems for your home.
9. Check outdoor plumbing. With a tough winter behind us, there is a possibility for damages to your outdoor plumbing; take time now to investigate, particularly if you have an outdoor irrigation system or sprinkler. One tell-tale sign that something is wrong is if your water pressure is low; give us a call if your water is a slow trickle. We’ll send someone out and get things running properly.
10. Prep your entertaining space. One of our favorite things about summer is the jovial nature of it all, and we love entertaining. If you have an outdoor space for grilling and gathering, we suggest doing a thorough cleaning now. Inspect the area and all playground equipment for wear and tear and give everything, including any outdoor furniture, a good cleaning. If you have a power washer, this is a great time to use it.
We love all this season brings: longer days, shorter nights, revelry and celebration, outdoor cooking and entertaining. Summer is nearly here and we hope these tips can help you get your home ready. As always, if we can help with any of your heating, cooling or plumbing needs, we stand ready to assist. Call our team at 704-771-1020 to schedule an appointment.
Fact or fiction: Put ice cubes down your garbage disposal regularly to sharpen its blades. This one is fiction! Your garbage disposal doesn’t have blades. Instead,...
The short answer to this question is “yes.” That said, Charlotte can be quite humid during the summer, so expect some level of humidity when it’s...
What does your simplified service plan include? If you’ve ever wondered if subscribing to our simplified service plan is worth it, the answer is “yes!” Our...